Sunday, January 07, 2007

penguins!!

Penguins make me sooo happy.



And today, I definitely wasn't the only happy one!

The weather here this austral summer has been really special. The channel, broken out by the icebreakers, has become a penguin highway. As the temperature increased and the air began to blow the quick ice in the bay out to the liquid ocean a group of over 100 ADELE PENGUINS arrived just off Hut Point near the ice pier!

Hundreds of people pilgrimaged out to Scott's Hut (Hut Point) to see all these cute squabbling fellows.



Oh, they are so animated and curious. Waddling about, investigating all of their admirers.





They came within 5 feet of me when I sat still. And squawked, picking up rocks and bringing them back to their colony. I sat at the point for hours and feel that I glowed with their carefree-ness for days.



I am one of the luckiest people alive.

No comments: